Understanding the Importance of Dental Care for Seniors
Losing your teeth is not a natural part of aging. Your teeth are designed to last, and with good oral hygiene and a little help from a qualified dentist, you can enjoy a healthy, natural smile well into retirement. Age presents a few challenges to your oral health, but when it comes to gum disease and other oral problems, age alone is not a determining factor. Early detection and treatment of dental problems protects not only your oral health but also your general health. Learn more about oral health and dental care for seniors below.
Common Dental Care Challenges – If you suffer from any of the following symptoms, discuss treatment options with your dentist in College Park.
- Gingivitis and periodontitis are common. They are caused by a buildup of bacteria-laden dental plaque.
- Tooth loss is typically caused by gum disease.
- Dry mouth occurs when saliva flow decreases; this can be caused by systemic disease, prescription and over-the-counter medicines and cancer treatments.
- Darkened teeth are often the result of stains or changes in the tooth’s dentin, the naturally yellow-colored substance that lies beneath enamel.
- Root decay occurs when gum tissues recede, and expose tooth roots. Because they are porous and have no protective enamel layer, the roots are more vulnerable to decay.
- Medications, dentures, and the natural aging process can cause diminished sense of taste.
- An uneven jawbone may develop over time when missing teeth are not replaced.
- Denture-induced stomatitis is an inflammation of tissues beneath a denture. Poor dental hygiene or fungal growth may be to blame.
Dental Care Tips for Seniors – Consistent oral hygiene habits can help you avoid gingivitis, periodontitis, and a number of other dental maladies. Brush your teeth at least twice every day, floss between teeth once a day, and visit your dentist on a regular basis for early detection and treatment of developing oral health problems.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in College Park, call Dental One Associates of College Park today at (678) 619-5697 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in College Park. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Georgia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of College Park, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of College Park.