Tips for Relieving the Pain of Chipped Teeth
A chipped tooth may involve just the tooth’s enamel, but if it also affects the dentin or pulp, you may have significant pain or sensitivity to cold or hot temperatures. Your symptoms may be constant or intermittent, but regardless of your comfort level, you should schedule an appointment with an affordable dentist immediately to assess the injury and avoid possible complications like infection and further tooth damage.
If you can’t see your dentist right away, you don’t have to suffer; the tips listed below can help you get relief from chipped tooth pain.
- Avoid foods and drinks that are cold or hot. Drink cold beverages without ice. Let coffee and other hot drinks cool to room temperature before consuming them.
- Avoid consuming food or drinks that are high in sugar or acid. Examples of acidic foods include, tomatoes, oranges, lemons, and coffee.
- Try oil of cloves, also known as eugenol. Soak a piece of cotton in the oil, and hold it against the painful area for about 10 seconds. Be careful not to swallow the oil. You can find eugenol at most health food retailers.
- Floss between the chipped teeth and adjacent teeth. Food or debris lodged between teeth can increase pain.
- Take over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Never place aspirin or any other medication directly on your tooth; this can burn the tissue.
- Sleep with extra pillows to keep your head elevated at night; this reduces the pressure around the area of the injured tooth and may help alleviate pain.
- Use over-the-counter temporary filling material or dental cement to seal and protect painful cracks and holes.
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water several times each day. It soothes pain and helps keep bacterial growth under control.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in College Park, call Dental One Associates of College Park today at (678) 619-5697 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in College Park. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Georgia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of College Park, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of College Park.