The Double Trouble of Periodontal Disease and Diabetes
Diabetics have a much greater chance of developing periodontal disease, which is the most severe form of gum disease. This connection was discovered in recent research studies and if you’re diabetic, you must be aware of this health risk.
The Dangerous Health Connection
The risks of periodontal disease and diabetes are based on diabetic control. First of all, having periodontal disease makes it more difficult to control blood sugar levels. In addition, a high blood glucose level causes the growth of oral germs that lead to cavities and oral infections. If these dental concerns aren’t treated, they make it more difficult to control your diabetes. This produces a vicious cycle of diabetes and oral health problems.
How to Prevent Problems with Periodontal Disease and Diabetes
Luckily, just because you have diabetes doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get gum disease. In fact, you can avoid any major problems with diabetes and teeth with proper dental care and blood sugar control. Try these helpful tips to avoid any cause for concern:
- Try to keep your blood sugar level under control.
- Take care of your teeth at home, including brushing at least twice a day and daily flossing.
- Let your dentist know if you’re diabetic.
- Go to your dentist immediately if you have a dental problem to avoid issues with diabetes and teeth.
- Get professional dental check-ups and cleanings every six months, or more frequently is you have a history of diabetes and oral health problems.
- If you blood sugar level is not under control, postpone any non-emergency dental procedures until you have it managed.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in College Park, call Dental One Associates of College Park today at (678) 619-5697 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in College Park. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Georgia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of College Park, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of College Park.