Let’s Talk About Tooth Sensitivity
Are your sensitive teeth a touchy subject? Please know that you’re not alone in your agony and that millions of U.S. adults are also dealing with tooth sensitivity. But now you can stop your suffering with these trusted tips for treatment.
Symptoms of Tooth Sensitivity
A sharp, stinging sensation when teeth are exposed to air or touch, as well as when they come into contact with hot, cold, or acidic foods and beverages is the most common symptom of sensitive teeth. This pain can be blamed on the erosion of tooth enamel and receding gums, which expose the underlying layer of dentin that is connected to the nerves, which triggers tooth sensitivity.
9 Causes of Sensitive Teeth
Tooth sensitivity is a struggle shared by many, but the causes can differ greatly. Yet experts in family dentistry usually point to these problems:
- Harshly brushing with a hard-bristled toothbrush.
- Abrasive tooth-whitening products.
- Long-term use of an abrasive toothpaste or acidic mouthwash.
- Acidic foods and drinks.
- Excessive plaque buildup.
- Receding gums.
- Cracked or chipped teeth.
- Teeth grinding or clenching.
- Certain dental procedures.
There’s no need to suffer with sensitive teeth. There are many treatments available, for both at-home and in-office use. Since causes differ, you’ll need an examination by an expert in family dentistry. Only then can you determine the right treatment for you. These are the most common options:
- Avoiding acidic foods and drinks.
- Brushing gently with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Using a toothpaste for sensitive teeth.
- Rinsing daily with a fluoridated mouthwash.
- Having a fluoride gel or varnish applied to the teeth.
- Getting bonding, inlays, or crowns.
- Receiving a root canal.
- Having surgical gum grafts.
- Wearing a mouth guard to control teeth grinding and clenching.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in College Park, call Dental One Associates of College Park today at (678) 619-5697 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in College Park. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Georgia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of College Park, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of College Park.